It’s Hump Day… That means it’s time to add another exercise to your Bootylicious Butt workout!
Today’s Exercise: The Dumbbell Lunge
Target Muscles: Quadriceps, Glutes, and Hamstrings
Lunges are an exercise that uses the hamstrings, gluteal muscles and quadriceps. They have a considerable range in form, depending on which muscle groups you are most interested in working, but generally, a short lunge works the quadriceps while longer lunges emphasizes the gluteal muscles.
1. Choose a pair of dumbbells and stand up straight with a slight bend in your knees.
2. Hold the dumbbells down at your sides. You are now in the starting position.
3. Step forward with your left leg while maintaining your balance and squat down through your hips. Inhale as you go down.
4. Keep your torso straight and head up. Don’t allow your knee to go forward beyond your toes.
5. Exhale as you push yourself back to the starting position by using your heal to drive you.
6. Repeat this movement with your right leg and then repeat for desired reps.
Never allow your knees to go forward beyond your toes during this movement. Doing so will place undue stress on the knee joints.
This exercise requires a good deal of balance and is not recommended for those with balance issues.
Keep your head up and back straight throughout the exercise. Never allow your back to round.
Dumbbell lunges are without a doubt one of the best exercises that you can choose for your lower body and especially for your gluteal muscles. Regularly performing lunges will improve muscle tone and lower body strength while also helping with your stability and overall balance!