I’m sure many of you remember eating hamburger helper when you were in college and didn’t know how to cook (and living on a tight budget). Well today, I want to share a recipe that was inspired by the “good ole days.” Today’s’ Meatless Monday meal idea is meat, egg and dairy-free, Hamburger-less Helper! This hamburger helper style recipe is easy to make and tastes amazing. I hope you enjoy it!
Chili Cheese “Hamburger-less” Helper
Makes 4-6 servings
1 pound Field Roast celebration roast, ground
1 cup hot water
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 cups noodles (elbow, shells, rotini… something that will hold the sauce well)
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese
(I use Daiya brand)
1. Cut your Field Roast into medium-sized chunks and pulse in a food processor until it’s crumbly and resembles ground beef.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the Field Roast. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients in the order listed, except the cheese. Stir all ingredients together, bring to a boil.
4. Once your mixture is boiling, cover and simmer on low heat about 12 minutes. Stir occasionally, until pasta is tender.
5. Remove skillet from heat and stir in your cheese until it’s melted. Let mixture stand, uncovered, for about five minutes. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
Recipe inspired by the Soy-free Vegan