Here’s an easy way to make vegetarian pot pies. Using ramekins also helps with portion control! This recipe is meatless, creamy, comforting, and sure to please.
1/4 cup chopped yellow onion (~ 1/2 medium onion)
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 cups of low sodium vegetable broth )
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots)
1/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour (or sub other thickener of choice)
2 bay leaves
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 batch of biscuits (or substitute with pie crust, or puff pastry)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat, then add onion and garlic and a pinch of salt – stir. Cook until soft (about 5-7 minutes)
3. Add the flour and stir with a whisk, then slowly whisk in the broth.
4. Add almond milk, bay leaves and stir. Simmer until the mixture is thickened (about 10 minutes). If it still appears too thin, scoop out 1/2 cup of the broth and add 1-2 Tbsp more flour and whisk. Add back into the pot to thicken. Wait a few minutes, then repeat if necessary.
5. While the sauce is thickening, prepare biscuits. Cut out, leave unbaked, and set aside.
6. Once the sauce is thickened, add the frozen vegetables and cook for 4-5 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
7. Discard the bay leaves and divide the mixture evenly between 5-6 lightly greased ramekins. Top with biscuits and brush the tops of the biscuits with melted vegan butter. Set your ramekins on a baking sheet to catch overflow and bake until the biscuits are golden brown and the filling is bubbly (about 14-17 minutes). Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from The Minimalist Baker