This recipe for Crispy Orange Cauliflower is a vegetarian’s solution to Orange Chicken. It has a sweet sauce flavored with freshly squeezed orange juice…and it’s gluten-free! If you love the taste of Orange Chicken, you’re going to love this dish. If you close your eyes when you take a bite into the crispy orange cauliflower it will almost seem like you’re eating chicken.
Crispy Orange Cauliflower
Gluten-free, egg-free, and dairy-free
1 small head of cauliflower, cut into small florets (or you can use pre-packaged of cauliflower florets)
For Flour Mixture:
1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 2 Tb water, allow to sit until thickens
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup corn starch
1/4 cup King Arthur’s Gluten-free Baking Mix
1 tsp oil
1. Blend all ingredients together until a nice batter is formed (shouldn’t be too thick: think waffle batter consistency).
2. Meanwhile, heat up a skillet with 1/2 cup oil on medium/high heat. Make sure it has been properly heated.
3. Dip each small floret into the batter and make sure each piece is entirely covered.
4. Fry in oil until completely browned.
5. Allow to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
(For Orange Sauce)
2 Tbsp. oil
3-4 garlic cloves, peeled and zested
6 green onions, thinly sliced
zest of 1 orange + juice of orange
2 Tbsp. gluten-free soy sauce
2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1. In a clean skillet, heat oil and garlic for 1 minute.
2. Add green onions, zest and juice. Cook another 1 minute.
3. Add soy sauce and vinegar and bring to a boil. Toss in crispy cauliflower into the skillet and coat thoroughly. Keep on the pan briefly.
4. Place on top of rice.
Sweet Orange Sauce for serving:
1/4 c. orange juice
1 tsp corn starch
1 tsp brown sugar
1. In that same skillet, throw in the remainder ingredients and bring to a boil for just 1 minute, stirring constantly.
2. Drizzle over orange cauliflower and rice.
3. Garnish with green scallions, orange zest, and sesame seeds.
Recipe inspired by Vegan Richa