As most of you may already know, I am a big fan of Mexican food and therefore I’m always looking for a new recipe to satisfy my cravings for It! I recently ran across recipe while surfing on the web. It is meatless, dairy-free, gluten-free and delicious!!!
Using black beans as the main protein source, this dish boasts a whopping 19 g of protein per serving. This is a great meal to replenish your fuel stores after a workout and helps get your body ready for the next one!
Zucchini & Black Bean Casserole
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
28-ounce can crushed or pureed tomatoes
1 (4-ounce) can chopped mild green chiles
2 teaspoons chili powder, or more, to taste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (16- to 20-ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise & thinly sliced
12 corn tortillas, torn or cut into several pieces
8 ounces cheddar-style nondairy cheese (Daiya is great with this!)
Vegan sour cream, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 400º F.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the onion until translucent. Add the green pepper and continue to sauté until it has softened and the onions are golden.
3. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and seasonings, black beans, and zucchini. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently for 5 minutes.
4. Layer as follows in a lightly oiled 9-by 13-inch or 2-quart round casserole: Half of the tortillas, half of the tomato-black bean mixture, and half of the cheese. Repeat.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.
6. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes, then cut into squares or wedges to serve.
This recipe is from the vegkitchen.com