If you’re a lover of regular sloppy joes, then you’re gonna love this sweet and tangy vegan version!! I came across this recipe for “ Hawaiian Sloppy Joes” on Chef Chloe’s vegan website and I had to try it. This recipe is AWESOME!
The filling is made from lentils and ground mushrooms, simmered in a brown sugar tomato sauce with a kick of crushed red pepper. Both kids and adults will be licking their lips (and fingers) after one of these!
Hawaiian Sloppy Joes (Servings: 6-8)
Photo courtesy of Chef Chloe
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
8 ounces crimini mushrooms, trimmed and pulsed in a food processor or finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 (15-ounce) cans lentils, rinsed and drained (or 1 ½ cups cooked lentils)
1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar or maple syrup
1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
6-8 whole wheat buns
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and sauté onions and green peppers until soft.
- Add mushrooms and let cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper, and let cook a couple more minutes.
- Stir in lentils, tomato sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and pineapple.
- Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Let it sit for at least 15 minutes before serving on buns.
Recipe Source http://chefchloe.com/entrees/hawaiian-sloppy-joes.html