Memorial Day is the unofficial American start of the summer. Though we traditionally associate this long, celebratory weekend with cookouts and barbecues there are also plenty of plant-based options for vegans to enjoy.
Feed your Memorial Day cravings without the meat, with today’s Meatless Monday recipe!
Carolina Pulled “Pork” BBQ Sandwiches
- 1 can jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed well with the core removed (as shown below)
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Gluten free sandwich bread or rolls
For the dry rub:
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- pinch garlic powder
- pinch onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
For the wet sauce:
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp canola
- 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add onion to a skillet over medium low and heat until it is caramelized and browned. Add garlic for the last minute or so, until fragrant.
- Mix together dry rub spices and toss jackfruit pieces in mixture until coated. Add to a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat for about five minutes to toast spices.
- Mix together wet sauce ingredients and add to saucepan, along with onion and garlic. Simmer jackfruit in sauce for 15-30 minutes until well heated and softened. Using a fork, shred the jackfruit pieces into small stringy bits.
- Spread mixture evenly on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes until slightly dried out and toughened.
- Divide evenly amongst your bread or rolls and serve! (Yield: 4 sandwiches)
Make sure you get “young green jackfruit in brine” NOT “jackfruit in syrup.”
Adapted from: Chowvegan.com