BBQ Portobello Sliders (serves: 6)
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- buns of your choice
- fixings of your choice: (field greens, onion, tomato avocado, nondairy cheese, Sriracha mayo, etc)
For the sauce:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ onion, grated
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sriracha or hot sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
First, make the sauce…
- In a small saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and garlic. Stir until translucent.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients. If the mixure is not already bubbling, increase heat.
- As soon as it bubbles, reduce to a simmer. Let it reduce and thicken (5-10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking – sweetness, spice level, salt, etc.
Depending on the size of your portobello’s, either trim to fit the size of your slider bun (or you can cut them into strips).
Liberally brush both sides of the mushrooms with the sauce and let them marinade for at least 15 minutes (up to 30 minutes is even better).
Heat broiler or grill, cook mushrooms, flipping halfway through. (the time will completely depend on the heat of your broiler or grill). Grill for about 3-5 minutes per side.
Recipe from loveandlemons.com