- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup Earth Balance nondairy margarine
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons agar agar flakes
- 1 1/4 cups organic sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (from two large lemons)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Extra powdered or confectioners’ sugar to decorate finished bars
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Lightly grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Pulse flour, powdered sugar and cornstarch in food processor. Add margarine in spoonfuls and blend, 8 to 10 seconds, and then pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle mixture into prepared baking pan and press firmly into an even layer with slightly raised sides to hold in the filling.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes and then bake for 40 minutes; remove from oven and let cool.
Meanwhile, prepare the filling…
- In a sauce pot, soak the agar agar in the water for 15 minutes. While the agar agar is soaking, zest your lemons and squeeze your lemon juice. Mix the arrowroot into the lemon juice to dissolve.
- When the agar has been soaking for 15 minutes, turn the heat up and bring to a boil.
- Boil for about 10 minutes, or until the agar is completely dissolved.
- Add the sugar and turmeric and boil until dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the arrow root and lemon juice mixture, then add the lemon zest and almond milk.
- Whisk constantly until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. It should not be rapidly boiling, but lowly bubbling is ok.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared crust, let cool for 20 minutes and then refrigerate for at least 3 hours, until the filling is only slightly jiggly and set.
- Use a sifter or a fine mesh strainer to sprinkle the bars with powdered sugar.
- Slice into squares and serve.