Today’s Meatless Monday recipe calls for this creamy, vegan version of cauliflower au gratin. So if you’re looking for a reduced fat and dairy-free version of this classic side dish, try this easy recipe.
Creamy Vegan Cauliflower Au Gratin
- 2 large (or three small) cauliflowers, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- water for steaming
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp. unbleached flour
- 1 cup liquid nondairy creamer or almond milk
- 1 cup nondairy vegan sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2-3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs or French fried onion
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Steam cauliflower for just 3-4 minutes until starting to soften up, just to give it a head start cooking.
- Place cauliflower in a lightly greased casserole or gratin dish.
- Whisk together the oil and flour over low heat until a paste forms, then add in nondairy creamer until thick and creamy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat then stir in sour cream, parsley, and nutritional yeast.
- Season with salt and pepper, then pour sauce over cauliflower, tossing lightly to coat cauliflower.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs (or French fried onions) nutmeg and paprika over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until bubbly and the top begins to brown. Turn the oven on broiler for 1-2 minutes to really crisp up the top. Let sit for a few minutes to set before serving.
- Enjoy your vegan cauliflower gratin!