Are you looking for a healthy pumpkin recipe to try? How about pumpkin risotto? Today’s recipe is a twist on classic Italian risotto – pumpkin! Why not? Pumpkin adds a sweet and unique flavor that’s perfect for fall. This Italian risotto recipe is both vegetarian and vegan.
Pumpkin Risotto (Yield: 4-6 servings)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups arborio (risotto) rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 cup organic pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp nondairy margarine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion in olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until soft. Add the rice. Allow to cook, stirring, for a minute or two. Slowly add the wine.
- Start to add the low-sodium vegetable broth, 1/2 cup at a time. Allow the moisture to cook off before adding the next 1/2 cup. Stir frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring well, and cook for just a few minutes, until heated through.