With fall in the air, I’m always in the mood for the sweet smells of pumpkin baking in the oven.
Use a 6×9 inch loaf pan.
- Roast the pumpkin at 400 degrees Fahrenheit) until fork tender.
- ¾ cup spelt flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unrefined coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground clove
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup pureed fresh pumpkin (roasted in oven until for tender, then scoop from skin)
- 1/2 cup almond or coconut milk
- 2 tsp organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure organic vanilla extract
Before you mix the ingredients, lightly oil the pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit with the rack in middle.
- In a medium bowl combine the nondairy milk and vinegar set aside.
- Use a large sifter and place it over a large bowl – combine the flours, baking soda, sea salt, baking powder, sugar and spices.
- Use a whisk to mix the dry ingredients through the sifter and mix again with the whisk once it passes through the sifter and is in the bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine the pumpkin puree, oil, vanilla extract and mix well then add the non-dairy milk and mix again.
- Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well using a whisk just until combined – don’t over mix (the batter will be very thick).
- Add quickly to the oiled loaf pan and bake on the middle rack for 38-40 minutes. A toothpick inserted should come out clean or a few moist bits is fine.
- When done, let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Carefully take out of the pan by flipping over onto a plate and then back on to the rack right side up and continue to cool.
- The cake should be cool before adding topping.
Lemon Spice Glaze
- ½ cup organic powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp non dairy milk
Instructions (for Lemon Glaze):
- Sift sugar into bowl and add all other ingredients.
- Drizzle on the cake.
Recipe adapted from Flip Flops and Avocados.