Whether you call it “stuffing” or you live in the south and call it “dressing,” no Christmas or Thanksgiving meal is complete without it!
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. nondairy, non-hydrogenated butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 8 oz. button or cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups vegan stuffing mix (see below)
- 1.5-2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large sauté pan, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat until melted. Add in the onion and celery and let cook until the onion is translucent. Add the mushrooms and let cook until softened and browned, about 5 minutes. Mix in the garlic and the seasonings.
- Add the parsley and the stuffing mix to the sauté pan. Mix well. Moisten the stuffing mixture with broth until it is soft but not wet. Remove the bay leaf and let the mixture cool.
- Transfer the stuffing to a large casserole dish that has been brushed with some oil or cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes.