Mexican food is one of my favorite types of cuisine. I recently visited Los Angeles, California and this is what inspired me to find a good recipe for vegan burritos.
Rice and Black Bean Burritos
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Tortillas for wrapping, use gluten-free if needed
For the Rice:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 white onion, diced (reserve some for beans)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup diced fresh tomato
¼ cup water
1 cup rice
For the Chili-Lime Beans:
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
¾ tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 cans black beans, well-rinsed, drained
Cilantro, finely chopped
Carrot, grated and peeled
1. Cook the onion and garlic in 2 tbsp of olive oil for 5-10 minutes in a sauce pan.
2. Add the rice, broth, water and tomato and cook, covered until rice is cooked. About 10-15 minutes.
3. Add the extra onion and garlic to a fry pan with the black beans, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Using a potato masher, mash up some of the beans in the pan and continue to cook for about 5-8 minutes until heated through.
4. Once the rice and beans are done, add to a large wrap with cilantro, carrot and salsa, roll up and enjoy!
5. Makes 4 very large burritos.
Variations: You could also add non-dairy cheese (Daiya) and serve with guacamole desired.
Recipe adapted from Deryn Macey