The Super Bowl is almost here which means food, fun and football for most Americans. It’s a day when so many of us gather excitedly around the T.V.—and the snack buffet. Yet, the big day doesn’t have to be the undoing of all your healthy habits. Want some healthy advice on how to enjoy your Super Bowl Sunday without leaving your good intentions on the sidelines?
Pre-Game Planning is Key:
▪ Before kickoff, get your 10,000 steps in. The Super Bowl is one big, glorious, (sedentary) spectator sport. If you get your steps done for the day, you won’t feel the need to miss those entertaining commercials.
▪ Workout. A structured exercise session can be a nice reminder to make healthy choices throughout the rest of the day. If you get your sweat on or lift weights before game time, you’ll feel better (and less guilty) sitting on the couch for the evening.
▪ Eat. Yes, the party is sure to have a nice spread, but don’t make the mistake of showing up starving. Eating a few high-protein meals earlier in the day will help you make better choices and avoid overeating at the party. Be sure to bring a dish or two to share. That way you’ll know there’s something healthy you can enjoy. Some ideas include a veggie tray with guacamole, a fresh fruit tray, or some homemade chili.
Other tips and reminders:
▪ Limit alcohol. If you’re going to drink, keep it to one or two alcoholic beverages and drink lots of water in between. Overconsumption not only impacts your weight and metabolism, it can also increase your hunger sensation and lower your inhibition. The result can be eating much more than you’d originally planned.
▪ Ditch the carbs. Party food for many people means highly-processed, high-carbohydrate snacks such as pretzels, crackers and chips. These foods will throw your blood sugar and energy into that unhealthy rollercoaster cycle every time. Add to this, their interference with hunger and satiety hormones—all while you’re sprawled out in the recliner for the evening. Unnecessary fuel equals stored body fat.
What are your tips for enjoying Super Bowl Sunday while staying on track? Share your strategies with others, and enjoy the celebration!